ABOUT US: Roanoke Rags® is an American clothing company specializing in handcrafted jackets. Jackets are designed and crafted in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Try one of our jackets and you’ll see how well they’re cut! We also make blouses. Quality and well-tailored clothing simply looks better on you!
Lindy is the founder and designer of Roanoke Rags®. She designs garments through draping and pattern making techniques. She began sewing clothes at a young age. Lindy enjoys 3-D puzzles, and brings this approach to designing garments. Lindy has a bachelor of arts in fashion design. She is also a musician and woodworker.
Roanoke Rags® gets its name from “Roanoke”, an Indian word for wampum bead shell money and the name of a Virginia city, and the term “rags” — industry jargon for denim or clothing.
Our product is made in America. We are manufacturing in small batches and/or pre-order. We use American and premium imported denim from Italy, Japan, and Turkey.
Thank you for supporting us!
Sign up for our newsletter and receive 10% off your first order!
THE DESIGN & HANDCRAFTED PROCESS:
- Good ideas often begin with a simple sketch.
- It is not simple to develop a pattern and garment from a sketch! A basic pattern block (also called sloper) is used to develop the pattern.
- A test garment, or “toile”, is made up in muslin to test the pattern. Typically, adjustments are then made to the pattern before a second toile is made.
- Typically, the toile is revised a few times before the design is satisfactory.
- Another way of developing a pattern from an idea is through draping.
- Draping is a 3-D technique for creating novelty garments by draping and pinning muslin fabric on a dress form.
- After a garment is draped, it is carefully marked in pencil, and removed from the dress form. A pattern is made, and a garment is developed from the pattern.
- Once a design is finalized, a hard copy of the pattern is made in oak tag paper.
- The final step requires “grading”, which is turning the pattern into several different sizes.
Painstaking work is necessary to turn an idea into a well-tailored garment. It’s very satisfying when an idea transforms into an aesthetic, well-tailored garment. Conversely, it is frustrating when an idea doesn’t pan out, after much work. Good design and fit requires time and attention to detail. Short-cutting this process results in an inferior product — poor fitting and bland.
At Roanoke Rags®, we believe a well-crafted garment is worth the effort — pin pricks, toile and tears!
ABOUT ROANOKE, VIRGINIA
Roanoke, Virginia is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Come visit! Check out the Roanoke Star on Mill Mountain for a spectacular view of the city. You can also visit Mill Mountain Zoo zoo, or transportation and art museums. Roanoke hosts several festivals throughout the year and is the mountain biking capital of the eastern U.S. There are many hiking trails, as well as the Appalachian trail. The Roanoke area offers many different cuisines and breweries. Visit the following links for more information: